What is the evidence that all pregnant women should follow the American Thyroid Association’s recommendation to take a daily iodine supplement?
Subscribe to NutritionFacts.org's free e-newsletter and receive a recipe from Dr. Greger's brand-new cookbook, The How Not to Diet Cookbook: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
This may be especially important for women eating plant-based: Pregnant Vegans at Risk for Iodine Deficiency (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/pregnant-vegans-at-risk-for-iodine-deficiency-2/)
Not to say sea vegetables aren’t good for you in their own right. See Which Seaweed is Most Protective Against Breast Cancer? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/which-seaweed-is-most-protective-against-breast-cancer/)
For more videos on having a healthy pregnancy, see:
• Heart Disease May Start in the Womb (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/heart-disease-may-start-in-the-womb)
• Lead Contamination in Tea (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/lead-contamination-of-tea)
• Caution: Anti-inflammatory Foods in the Third Trimester (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/caution-anti-inflammatory-foods-in-the-third-trimester)
• Flame Retardant Pollutants and Child Development (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/flame-retardant-pollutants-and-child-development)
• Why Do Vegan Women Have 5x Fewer Twins? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/pollutants-in-salmon-and-our-own-fat)
• Pollutants in Salmon and Our Own Fat (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/pollutants-in-salmon-and-our-own-fat/)
• Bacon, Eggs, and Gestational Diabetes During Pregnancy (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/bacon-eggs-and-gestational-diabetes-during-pregnancy-2)
• How Long to Detox From Fish Before Pregnancy? (http://www.nutritionfacts.org/video/how-long-to-detox-from-fish-before-pregnancy/)
• Meat Fumes: Dietary Secondhand Smoke (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/meat-fumes-dietary-secondhand-smoke/)
• Natural Treatments for Morning Sickness (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/natural-treatments-morning-sickness)
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/iodine-supplements-before-during-and-after-pregnancy and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/iodine-supplements-before-during-and-after-pregnancy. You’ll also find a transcript of the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Image Credit: il-young ko via flickr
• Subscribe: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: https://nutritionfacts.org/donate
• Podcast : https://nutritionfacts.org/audio
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: www.instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org
• Books (including the NEW How Not to Diet Cookbook): https://nutritionfacts.org/books
• Shop: https://drgreger.org
Watch On YouTube