Cyanocobalamin versus methylcobalamin: For prevention and treatment of vitamin B12 deficiency, cyanocobalamin in chewable, sublingual, or liquid forms (rather than in a multivitamin) is best under most circumstances.
Subscribe to NutritionFacts.org's free e-newsletter and receive a recipe from Dr. Greger's brand-new cookbook, The How Not to Diet Cookbook: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
Whoa, that video was packed to the hilt. The dosage needed to treat B12 deficiency, how oral is better than injectable, why the cheaper form (cyanocobalamin) is superior to the more expensive form (methylcobalamin), why you can’t just take it in a multivitamin because of the analogs, and you shouldn’t just take it in a pill you just swallow (because it needs to mix with that saliva protein), and then with the toothpaste thing totally coming out of left field.
I mentioned my book, How Not to Diet, which you can find out more about here (https://nutritionfacts.org/how-not-to-diet/). It’s funny how I said it was my “last” book, not aware at the time I recorded it that little did I know I’d have a whole new book out by then out of nowhere. How to Survive a Pandemic (https://nutritionfacts.org/how-to-survive-a-pandemic/), out now in softcover, audiobook (read by me), and e-book form.
This is the last in a 5-video series on B12. You can find all of these videos in a digital download here (https://drgreger.org/collections/downloads/products/b12-recommendations-digital), along with two additional videos that will be coming out in a few months the potential for B12 side-effects.
If you missed any in this series, check out:
• The Symptoms of Vitamin B21 Deficiency (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-symptoms-of-vitamin-B12-deficiency)
• The Optimal Vitamin B12 Dosage for Adults (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-optimal-vitamin-B12-dosage-for-adults)
• Healthiest Food Sources of Vitamin B12 (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/healthiest-food-sources-of-vitamin-B12)
• The Optimal Vitamin B12 Dosage for Kids, Pregnancy, and Seniors (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-optimal-vitamin-B12-dosage-for-children-pregnancy-and-seniors)
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-best-type-of-vitamin-B12-cyanocobalamin-or-methylcobalamin and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-best-type-of-vitamin-B12-cyanocobalamin-or-methylcobalamin. You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Captions for this video are available in several languages. To find yours, click on the settings wheel on the lower-right of the video and then "Subtitles/CC." Do you have feedback about the translations in this video? Please share it here along with the title of the video and language: https://nutritionfacts.zendesk.com/hc/requests/new
• Subscribe: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: https://nutritionfacts.org/donate
• Podcast : https://nutritionfacts.org/audio
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: www.instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org
• Books (including the NEW How Not to Diet Cookbook): https://nutritionfacts.org/books
• Shop: https://drgreger.org
Watch On YouTube